THIS IS AN ARCHIVED SITE

This site contains information from 2014-2018. Visit the current www.FirstNet.gov site.

North Carolina Works to Update, Increase Awareness about ReadyNC App

August 26, 2014
In North Carolina, the ReadyNC app is regarded by the public safety community and members of the public as a live-saving tool
In North Carolina, the ReadyNC app is regarded by the public safety community and members of the public as a live-saving tool

This is the second in a two-part series about a mobile application designed to enhance readiness in the state of North Carolina. In today’s feature, FirstNet highlights the North Carolina Department of Public Safety’s continuing efforts to increase awareness of the app and update its functions.
By Kyle Richardson, Public Affairs Specialist

Most users of mobile applications consider them to be helpful features on their smartphones and tablets. In North Carolina, the ReadyNC app is regarded by the public safety community and members of the public as a live-saving tool. The application puts time-sensitive data into the hands of those who need it most – the public and first responders.

“Whatever people can do ahead of time to prepare for a disaster means they will be more equipped to deal with its aftermath,” said Julia Jarema, Communications Officer for the North Carolina Department of Public Safety (NC DPS). She says the app is not designed to be an emergency alert, nor does it replace calling 911 for emergencies. North Carolina is also taking steps to increase awareness about the app’s features and improve its functionality.

As part of its outreach plan, Julia says the NC DPS is promoting the app through various advertising outlets, including signage, the Web, and social media ads. It is also launching a public education campaign called “ReadyNC!” to encourage residents and visitors to plan, prepare, and stay informed. The campaign is designed to drive people to the ReadyNC website and app, help them create a preparedness plan and kit, and become more aware about the different types of emergencies in North Carolina.

NC DPS is continuously looking to improve upon the design and functionality of the app. For example, the state is working to refine the evacuation feature so they can promote community or regional evacuations. NC DPS is also factoring in the needs of the disabled as they update the ReadyNC website to improve accessibility.

The governor has also been a big supporter of the ReadyNC and recently encouraged the public to use it in preparation for Hurricane Arthur this past July. “Be sure to follow the ReadyNC website and download the app which tells you how to prepare and provides real-time information at the touch of your fingertips so you will be updated in real time,” said Governor Pat McRory in a press conference in advance of Hurricane Arthur. “Our goal is public safety. The state has taken preventive measure to assure that.”

According to NC DPS, there was 30 percent increase in the number of ReadyNC app downloads as Hurricane Arthur neared North Carolina.

Visit our Flickr page to see high resolution photos from the state emergency operations personnel preparing for last month's Hurricane Arthur at the North Carolina Emergency Center or scroll over the images below.

Go to top